Sunday, 6 May 2012

Final Arkitekt DPS layouts!

Here are my final designs for the Arkitekt magazine...

(Front cover)

I have altered my spreads in various ways, for example the colours are more neutral and allow the overall appearance to appear more professional. Also I have elongated the photos on the front cover, which are now more prominent.

(Architecture Review DPS)

I have included tabs along the left hand side of the page, which makes the entire composition look as though it belongs in a magazine. I have also removed the dark blocks which surrounded the text, as I felt that they were too overpowering for the spread.

(Architecture News DPS)

I have used only one copy of the house at full opacity, as the second lowered opacity copy didn't relate to the article or have much relevance. Instead I have decided to incorporate an image of a georgian hotel, which is located directly behind the georgian architecture article. The spread is easier to understand this way, and allows the reader to navigate around the page effectively. I am pleased with the end result, as the colour theme and typeface choices are some features which make the magazine appear interesting and contemporary.

Friday, 20 April 2012

Creating the interface!

This is a print screen of my interface that I have designed to accompany my animation. When the viewer hovers over the door, it swings open and reveals a 'Main animation' play option. I have tried to make the entire concept relevant to the nature of my animation, by including elements like the black and white town scenery.

It was designed within photoshop first, then imported into flash to be edited as an interface which includes interactive buttons. All I need to do is link all my files and im done! :)

Tuesday, 10 April 2012

Main animation shooting!

(I shot my animation inside my fold-out photography tent, using  powerful lights and a webcam attached to a tripod)

(I was able to monitor every shot onscreen, which proved very helpful as I could identify mistakes instantly and make the necessary corrections)

(The animation tent from a birdseye view - My two 'city' scenes!)

(The main shooting)

(Starting scene)

(Middle scene)

(Ending scene)

The entire filming process was made fairly easy with my HD webcam. It took 5 hours to capture almost 740 shots, this may seem like alot but I wanted only very subtle movements to ensure that the film would run smoothly. I used lighting adjustments on the webcam to control the nature of the atmosphere and visual appearance of the scenes. I swapped the day scene with the night scene around halfway through the animation, purely for a more interesting contrast...I really like the creepy shadowy effect! :)  


Sunday, 1 April 2012

Final DPS indesign practice!

(Title page 'Arkitekt')

(Architecture review DPS 1)

(Architecture news DPS 2)

After some consideration of the design of my layouts, I used Indesign to inject some more exciting visual elements into them. Instead of using my sketches, I decided to enhance my work by adding the photographs I took but with a high level of contrast. I have also tried to use a colour scheme which appears consistent throughout all of the pages, indicating they are part of a set. My use of photographs has improved my DPS layouts, as they look more formal and appropriate for a magazine. 

After my discussion session, I was advised to reconsider my choices of typeface. This is because it needs to be aimed at the target audience more effectively, and the current choice seems lacklustre.
Jeff advised that I be more experimental in terms of composition and colour, two elements that I will take into account when designing my next series of new and improved DPS layouts!   

Final rendered storyboards

('Daytime phase' storyboard)

('Night time phase' storyboard)

After spending many of my Dynamic imagery sessions learning how to create animation in flash, here are my final storyboards for my sequence. They explain in detail the key stages of my animation, and how they unfold gradually. Although these took many hours to complete, I am satisfied with the end result.

My next intention is to shoot the scenes as they appear in my storyboard, using my mini photography studio which comes complete with a tripod (which will prove to be very handy for filming my animation as accurately as possible!)

Friday, 16 March 2012

Initial DPS's

I started using Indesign after one of our practice sessions, and began to arrange the text in various ways. I experimented with type and constructed some initial layouts. I also decided to incorporate some of my architecture sketches into it, however they don't look as professional as I suspected they would. Perhaps I could later use them in my ideas, but in a much more subtle manner?

These Indesign layouts are for the carbuncles text, this time using my images but only in a small area. I think that these layouts are good for initial text positioning experimentation, however they will need editing to allow for a more colourful visual appearance...

Tuesday, 13 March 2012

Initial storyboards and scenery mock ups...

(Initial storyboards)

(Mock up scenery practice)

In order to show my intentions for my animation sequence, I created some rough practice pieces for the scenery. I used 3D pop up scenes, whilst incorporating some of the objects I plan to use for my work. These will include:

A set of coloured chalks
White sticky squares

The original intention was to include tubes of paint, that would become a part of the animation by filming the acrylic being squeezed out of the tube and making the markings for the roads on the pop-up sets. However I have decided to not include this, as I don't want to overcomplicate matters. I am aiming for a very simplistic, yet effective look! 

I enjoyed experimenting with different light sources, and developing a storyline for my animation is exciting work! :)