Labels

Sunday 4 December 2011

'Hello and Welcome' to 'Horizon'...


For the second part of my typography brief, I am required to produce an introductory 'Hello and Welcome' DPS layout consisting of a 600 word introduction to the zine. This will be followed by a front cover design, reading the title for the magazine 'Horizon' or an alternative title of my choice. I started to produce some initial thumbnail sketches for both, which are reminiscent of my theatre theme.


Initial visuals for my 'Hello and Welcome' introduction spread. I experimented with composition and type prominance, and explored various alternatives regarding the overall appearance of the piece.


I took one of my thumbnail sketch ideas into Indesign and began to develop it. For the first paragraph I used a more prominant tone of type, to create a contrast between the rest of the writing. The bold subtitles are very theatrical-style which helps to add interest and excitement to the piece.


For this layout I have incorporated a formal serif typeface in the introductory paragraph to communicate the 'formal' feel of the theatrical experience. In contrast, I have used a more basic typeface for the rest of the paragraph text. I think this varied range of styles is effective in the design.


These are my visuals for the front page design of my zine. I have personalized the title and made it more specific to my theme by changing 'Horizon' to 'The City of Wolverhampton-Where theatre showbiz comes to life'. I have tried to approach my designs with an open mind, to achieve the best possible results.


Here are two alternative designs for my front page, created using Indesign software. The left hand design has a grid-formation background which is intended to be reminiscent of a pixel theatre screen. However I felt that the complex background overshadowed the rest of the layout content, so I experimented with a more ordinary, basic style.

The next step is to revisit some of my design ideas, and choose the most successful content to create my final theatre zine outcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment